Perambulation
I measure time by how a body sways
the lilting of head, the toss of hair
In carefree beach stepping free fall
or slow jiggle, the belly, so full of beer
pacing after hard labor or long haul
the confidence of corporate Jane or Joe
I measure time by how a body sways
people watching from the park bench
paper and pen at the ready, steady
to immortalize each and every one
each unique, not one better than the other,
Life - dancing; Father, mother, sister, brother
I measure time by how a body sways
They each display their own rhythm
I try to walk briefly in their boots or shoes
to understand both their joys and blues
To walk the wire or jump the skipping rope
each of us has a place for peace and hope
©JP/davh
Note: I stink at formal forms. This I know and know full well.
I can count, do some maths, but formal forms is not my thing.
I should add; because some might not visit the link...
"(I measure time by how a body sways)"
is from; I knew a Woman by Theodore Roethke
I should add; because some might not visit the link...
"(I measure time by how a body sways)"
is from; I knew a Woman by Theodore Roethke
i feel you on forms...they are not my fav either...you did well...i like your hook line on measuring time by how the body sways...and that all of us have a place for peace and hope...
ReplyDeleteThat line served you well, Jules. Your exploration made for good reading. Thanks.
ReplyDeletealthough you don't like formal forms of poetry, you write it very well - I enjoyed the pictures you drew with your words!
ReplyDeleteda-dum... grin... I like the line you picked to kick off with.
ReplyDelete