Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Fortunate Canaries (Quickly Now #16)


Quickly, now
Flip side: Take a piece of prose (something from the public domain would be best, but use your quick judgment) and line it out as poetry. Free verse or a syllabic pattern or by word count or have lots of fun and make a shaped poem.
The Enchanted Island Prose by Washington Irving

Fortunate Canaries: a renga

abandon isles
in appearance only, there
great mysteries sway

atlanteans and gods play
with tourists snapping photos

what dog shall bark, hark
what siren music is heard
let the poet show you...

©JP/davh

I like this particular line in the text: "Nay, though doubted by historians and philosophers, its (the islands) existence is fully attested by the poets, who, being an inspired race, and gifted with a kind of second sight, can see into the mysteries of nature, hidden from the eyes of ordinary mortals.”
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canary_Islands


1 comment:

  1. I love your choice of text but love the renga even more. We poets know a thing or two!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.

I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.

Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.