Monday, June 30, 2014

CD : 503 Basho 1


divided the shell
two halves; sandy shore and sea
the clam holds a pearl

falling for gems, dive deeply
sup then sell, discard the shell

make ready your home
to keep out the cold brisk dawn
that will fall too soon

her face is your pearl, your heart
you must bind, for wedded bliss

share salt tears of joy
even when her luster fades -
as you both will age

©JP/davh

Note: just for fun I went to the Google translator:
from the post:
hamaguri no   futami ni wakare   yuku aki zo

Through Google translator (the second is this what you mean):
Hama guri no futa mi ni waka re yuku aki zo
Autumn to go is divided into Futami of clam -
My interpretation:
the clam of autumn like Futami is divided

Some, though not all clams have pearls, and the rest... just followed.

2 comments:

  1. A sweetly profound poem Jules - autumn and reflections on aging do seem to go together don't they. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The images of autumn and aging seem to be inextricably intertwined.

      Departing Autumn

      Delete

Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.

I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.

Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.