Repartee?
If I close my eyes, there is still light
by day the heat of the relentless summer sun
by night the images that carry color, shape, sound
other senses seize one’s heart either in glee
or unbridled fear - the nightmares of unrequited
or perhaps abandoned opportunities
Without sight is there light?
The sweet milk breath of the newborn,
the caterpillar's dainty crawl upon my arm,
even the temporary sting of the mosquito
who briefly sucks the passion of my
flowing blood - could I find a pen and paper?
Would I quickly learn braille so I could
read and interpret the dew of dawn -
so I could still read the great mysteries
by masters and mistresses who
by their own admissions and gilded
thoughts illuminate understanding?
What is enough - that I should want more?
Home, hearth, breath, family. I am not in need
of fad fashions or the best cuts of beef to dine
upon. I am the sum of my numbers; memories of
life past and present - the whole of what was and
is my years... I accept those simple gifts.
©JP/davh
Love the phrasing and your use of words - I liked the last verse especially - so true and that's how I feel!
ReplyDelete