Plain Enough
Ma looked out the window again
taking a break after hanging out the quilts on the line.
I could see that big sigh coming a mile away.
Though she never did explain it.
I could only use my imagination to guess.
The tourists had stopped again to take pictures.
Was Ma happy here taking care of us - she said she was.
She had gone to the city for a week when she was a girl.
Said she had enough memories to keep her dizzy
for the rest of her living days. She likes her open air, she says.
Ma sold some of her quilts at the market.
I wonder if any of them made it to that city she saw.
Was Ma just annoyed that the motor of the cars might
upset the cows? Pa was off in the fields - That didn’t worry her
as we all knew how to use the rifles that we kept clean and safe -
close enough at hand so if someone thought of shooting more
than shooting off just a camera or got too loud with words that
no tender ears should hear...
Ma says I can go to the city for a week when I’m older.
I don’t think I will. I like it here. Sara’s friend Milly went
And she never did come back. While Milly’s folks have
their hands full with the rest of their family...they are hurting -
I can tell. And I don’t ever want to hurt my Ma and Pa like that.
I think I’ll look out the east window and look for Pa.
©JP/davh
http://www.mapcrunch.com/ Inspired piece.
Farm to Market Road, Omaha, TX
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.
I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.
Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.