Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sugar and Spice...

Sugar and Spice...

Ginger often got lost in the abstract views
on the other side of the bay window
in the library of the Victoria home
where she often spent the weekends with her Grandmother.
She would shimmy up onto the window seat
and fold herself like a thin decorated piece of origami paper
becoming an ethereal wisp of a girl -
like the fairy folk, princesses or other heroines
that were shelved in the closed books filling  
the exquisitely carved dark cases that lined almost every wall.
This windswept wet spring afternoon was not ideal for seeking
the rainbows that could form from
the spangling crystals of the main chandler.
It was a fine one though for allowing daydreams to turn
the twirling maple seeds into a flock of petite dragons
whose sweet fermented breath could light birthday candles
on the cakes of lords and ladies dressed
in the fine pastels of birthing seasonal colors.
Her aches of missing home would vanish
with the cacophony of crashing thunder
which created a fitting coda to her time in this room
as she would jump with a start
and search through the maze of the house
to find comfort in the older woman’s waiting arms...

JP/davh (April 22, 2012)

http://sundaywhirl.wordpress.com/2012/04/22/anniversary-wordle/

Happy #52nd Wordle!! Find the words and others’ fine contributions at the Sunday Whirl!

Process notes: The wind in my maples, just before the rain late yesterday afternoon, actually created the power to knock off groups of seeds at a lazy pace that looked more like little tan dragons flying than helicopters twirling and that was the inspiration for ‘Sugar and Spice...’.

10 comments:

  1. This is really nice. I can so picture the girl. Lovely imagery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jules, this was utterly charming. Best is your description of the girl as being made of origami paper, how she folds into the window seat... and when she runs to Grandma's arms. Loved it. Peace, Amy
    http://sharplittlepencil.com/2012/04/23/was-a-time-when/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this - can picture the maple "whirly-birds" looking more like dragons than 'copters ... a lovely narrative poem Jules, very nice

    mine's at THE WAY EYE SEE IT this week: http://aleapingelephant.blogspot.ca/2012/04/coda-of-crows-dragons-angels-and-swans.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an absolutely beautiful story, Jules. I love the ending.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful story imagined.

    I like

    allowing daydreams to turn
    the twirling maple seeds into a flock of petite dragons

    ReplyDelete
  6. The use of origami was just lovely, as was the rest of this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Commented, but then clicked, and not sure it went through...
    I simply, absolutely adore this sentence:

    "It was a fine one though for allowing daydreams to turn
    the twirling maple seeds into a flock of petite dragons
    whose sweet fermented breath could light birthday candles
    on the cakes of lords and ladies dressed
    in the fine pastels of birthing seasonal colors."

    Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I do love this so much, Jules... so imaginative and vivid. The girl sounds like a daydream I used to have as a child to escape like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the imagery in this. I was there with her.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.

I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.

Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.