Sunday, April 15, 2012

Hot Cross Buns?

Hot Cross Buns?

At first glance things appear ‘normal’
But you can only hold your breath for so long
And then an unexpected exchange of words
Delivered with forceful energy and a flair for the dramatic,
Take the sweet beginnings of the day and stokes
The embers of uncertainty into full flames...
What tricks are the fates playing?
No one is any richer, and the pawns just feel another push
As managers are moved around to different store locations
The different members of our staff have to be flexible
There really is no choice, blend or leave.

So much for learning
The confectionery side of this new job
Stuck with the crusty job of bagging baked breads
For a little extra dough...
The door of opportunity plays hide and seek
Yet the fermentation of an idea blooms...
And I’ll rise to the occasion
Even if I have to wait a month or two,
I shall attempt patience
Knowing that eventually I can and will take leave
Of both the negative pith and unsavory wry

JP/ davh    April 14, 2012

http://sundaywhirl.wordpress.com/2012/04/15/wordle-52-a-bakers-dozen/


For Wordle #52 appropriately enough a bakers’ dozen: sweet, richer, dramatic, forceful, tricks, push, glance, exchange, breath, flexible, blend

Process notes: Another list just falls into place - after not being at work for three days I walk in to be greeted with the news that the manager who hired me is transferring to another store. I am so looking forward to the day when I can say ‘I’m outta here’ as well. Maybe by the end of the summer I will have found something that I can like and live with or just ‘retire.’ But as my Hubby says, it’s the same old soup all over - just stirred with a different spoon.

9 comments:

  1. Some very good lines in this poem: I especially like:

    The door of opportunity plays hide and seek
    Yet the fermentation of an idea blooms...

    It is hard when things are shaken up at work. However, the changes produced a fine wordle poem, which is no small thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks. To be in a job where you aren't happy. Hope it all works out the way you wish it to. Great use of the worlde words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jules...I've been there. In an earlier life I put 11 years in at Albertson's delis, as employee and manager. Your piece illuminates the angst that occurs with change, and company expectations.
    I love your use of language...
    "crusty job"
    "extra dough"
    "fermentation of an idea"

    Brilliant!

    Your last line is intense, a strong way to end the piece.

    (third line, should be "an" instead of "and?")

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fun, Jules. And, you posted your link to Mr. Linky! Speaking of... how do you get that cool side thing with the blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. a fun read, but serious too in its way - I just love the energy that moved me through from start to finish... I love this as a demonstration of blending wordle words to make a cohesive poem (one of my favourites so far)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this a lot and I feel for the horrors of being in a job where you aren't happy. Powerful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  7. FUN play on words...enjoyed reading this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always Jules- you rise to the occasion. Wonderful wordle. Sorry work sounds like it could be turning up the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know these feelings so well, from so many times in the past. Thankfully, I'm retired now and those days are memories not often contemplated. Nicely written peice. I enjoyed it!
    http://charleslmashburn.wordpress.com/2012/04/15/a-bumblebee-bowling-ball/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.

I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.

Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.