Tuesday, August 5, 2014

CD : Ghost Writer 20 : Scent

and 
http://redwolfpoems.wordpress.com/2014/08/06/prompt-218-time-travel/


The Scent of Poetry - by Jen

spring plowing done –   /
the scent of oil and hot dust /
in grandpa’s workshop //
©Jen

***********
hair, face powdered, she
white as chalk screech squeaking -
smelled of used spent dust


any moment she’d become
a ghost - brittle like stale bread


hollow odor of
chiseled rock becoming grains
of bitter sea salt


a first grade teacher who seemed
to disliked us young children


especially me
spit polished and shined by love
from the sheriff's wife


ivory soap washed, me in
line dried clothes ironed neat -


- I called her grama
who made room for me at her
table in her home


(until father remarried
a replacement for his loss)


because I was her
son’s daughter, her aroma
was of sweeter talc

©JP/davh

14 comments:

  1. I too had a less-than-nice teacher -- second grade - I think she hated us. Ugh.
    Brittle like stale bread is extremely powerful here, too -- and the scent of Ivory soap -- such memories, powerful memories, even if they are painful-- thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. an exquisite piece (Y)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each one just gets better and better, love especially the last one:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely scents, great writing. I remember the scent of talc with lily of the valley. Reminds me of my gran.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The smell of soap.. such a story this tells... your memoirs in scents.. you went very deep into the prompt

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that you included several memories of important people from your childhood. You have me wondering if I could remember scents associated with a person. Enjoyed your poem, a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We live through our noses. You especially so, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am amazed at how you conveyed so many experiences in a few words... Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chanel # 5 will always remind me of my mom. Aqua Velva my grandfather. Scents are powerful triggers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really evocative and "harsh" Juls ---paints a wonderful picture of starkness and yet, the softness too. I can almost smell the lined-dried clothes ironed crisply.

    Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you. We are forever wanting to remember the best, yet we are all of the past as well.

      Delete

Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.

I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.

Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.