The Great Escape
I’ve moved around too much
to have one favorite place
tucked in the folds of memory
when I want to duck out of life's fast pace
Unmarked stops, waiting to go to school,
The platforms of trains, or benches for a city bus
Holiday meals round the dining room table
Venues where there is hoopla and fuss
City corners where the news stand
hawked several dailies and a myriad of magazines
near the entrance to the subway or the farmer’s market
in the country selling fresh green beans
The sacred sanctuary of the faith du jour,
the committee, sports practice or rehearsal hall
The park to celebrate national holidays
or the place where the phone hangs on the wall
When the children were younger
and spilling their food was the name of the game
we ate in the kitchen where linoleum lined the floor
after putting in hardwoods the dining table gained fame
From the recesses of the past
the first wedding where we met
Then too the hall where our nuptials were held -
the diminishing space in my mind where I hold regret
The family room in the home for the aged
where the eldest of our family must now reside
but the favorite, if I had to choose is that place by the creek,
and my willow where I can be embraced by nature and momentarily hide...
©JP/davh
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.
I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.
Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.