That day in yesterday’s poem? Go back to it. Move the events to a new location. Same time, different place. Down the hill; across town; a world away. Tell us the same story, but elevate “place” to the starring role. or; Write a poem about a place.
(Yesterday’s piece)
Wired Up
The big heavy black handset of the old rotary phone...
the only phone in my grandparents home
Daddy wasn’t there, but sister and I were.
been staying with them since mom died
The ring was loud and was picked up - adults talked
I was called over, I might have been about three years old
I was told to say hello to the nice lady who
we hadn’t met yet, but she was going to marry our father
The only thing I could think of was to ask;
“Can I call you Mommy?”
(Answering today’s prompt)
Double Cross
So my friend, she like, meets this guy, falls in love
was it just for her money, quick romances are questionable
It is the beginning of the decade of ‘Make Love Not War’
and she doesn’t want to fight anymore - she wants peace
There is a twist here, he comes with more than just personal baggage
he comes with two little girls, an instant family
She hasn’t even met his daughters and they’ve set the date
so her first meeting with the dearies is a little chat, via a handset -
She tells me she it was the cutest thing, really when the youngest asked;
“Can I call you Mommy?”
©JP/davh
very clever twist around!
ReplyDelete