Wednesday, October 31, 2012

WWP #129: I Write...

http://wewritepoems.wordpress.com/2012/10/31/prompt-129-its-post-your-poems-day/

I write because ink flows in my blood...

mind you I didn’t say with my blood - nor did I mention the color of the ‘ink’
I write because just perhaps it is a genetic thing...
while the styles were, are different my father and a sibling also write
I write because I enjoy placing, pacing, etching, sketching...
turning the emotional knobs, cleansing the slate, relief

I write small verse called small stones to link to the river...
to add some pebbles into the stream of consciousness, to be part of the karma
I write to musical prompts that reintroduce me to songs I’ve already heard
but I’ve forgotten who the musicians were or when they first aired
I write long verse I call chapters inspired by word lists
from bloggers and word lists called ‘wordles’ and artwork too

I write from many viewpoints, I write to be heard, and I write to live

I write to learn, though some forms stump me
I have never claimed to be an English Major - just a player of words
I write to invent new forms combining some shorter ones
those I feel most comfortable with - tweaking the known rules
I write to challenge the standards, to break the traditions
or keep the ones that have fallen out of favor alive

I write because just perhaps I can claim by longevity
that I am a poet - writing from the time when I first entered double digits
I write because when I do I feel like I am needed not needy
even if only a few loyal friends feel the beating of my heart
I write because stringing the words together helps me belong and we all need
to feel as if we belong, even if just through words


JP/davh

6 comments:

  1. All very enriching reasons to write! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful explanation of this writing disease which affects/afflicts all who visit this place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jules, this prompt has unleashed a river for all of us, hasn't it. I find myself agreeing, nodding my head, identifying with each and all. I did do an English Major but forever will feel like a beginner. And I really like your statement about feeling needed, rather than needy. Yes, yes, yes,

    Elizabeth
    http://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/2012/10/28/a-list-poem-about-why/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I had left a comment here before. Love all the reasons multiplied with each response I read. Each one different, each another voice raised in harmony, yet each a unique and personal offering. Especially like that you write to be heard and to live.

    Elizabeth
    http://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you did comment - I've just been a bit slow in the processing. I try to make sure I've read and commented back before posting...thanks (times two!).

      Delete
  5. The ending is very beautiful, Jules.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.

I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.

Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.