Wednesday, October 10, 2012

WWP # 126: Deciphered

Deciphered
pointed
shaved and peeled by layers
used, always used, sometimes as a decoration

and yet as I am diminished
I create
rooms, art or words...

most often being number two
I’m tested
yet I know I am most reliable

words are my favorite
those that handily fill a page
telling tales, recording memories

often just a soldier
in the draft
easy to erase - mistakes

though I am not at fault
I am just the tool
perhaps the fool, constantly being led?

I get to retire eventually -  if I’m not lost
because I am both blind and deaf
often bitten and chewed

on your calendar
please give me the time of day -
oh, do ‘pencil’ me in!

© JP/davh

http://wewritepoems.wordpress.com/2012/10/10/prompt-126-its-post-your-poems-day/

7 comments:

  1. Pencils are most often our first real tools of self expression. I like the playfulness and the reality. Where would we be without them?

    Elizabeth
    http://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. Charming perspective...a lifetime of "being led"- I liked that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff, JP. I'm (almost) always entertained by inanimate object persona poems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So love the pun at ending.

    I like the flow, the rhythm and line lengths which remind of the stop/start/go of writing. Pencil is such a wonderful reminder of so many events, particularly as a teacher and watching children work with pencil on words/images - although all more often at keyboard now.

    There is such a comfort in holding a pencil. I am left to wonder how many do retire? Where do all those lost pencils go?

    Thanks for visit. Thank you for sharing poem.



    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha!! I love that you turned this into a game of clues...I thought for a moment bounty!! I saw soon enough! Thank you for a bit of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this poem! I guessed it was a pencil and enjoyed your play on words again...

    ReplyDelete
  7. smiles...this was fun, and i think captures a humble attitude as well that we can look to...i like pencils personally...perhaps with my history in art...and my ability with it to erase those mistakes....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.

I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.

Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.