Sunday, February 5, 2012

Flounder?

http://sundaywhirl.wordpress.com host Brenda... Wordle #42
staccato, billows, dubious, dart, ruins, exile,
petulat, fuses, metallic, rebellion, latch, scar

Flounder?

Staccato waves hurled the vessel,
Poseidon waging his own rebellion
Against the metallic hulls of warring humans
This was not a petulant act by the
God and Father of the sea

The young sailor wished he were aboard
An old three master, perhaps in the crows nest or even
An attendant to the billows for an old cooks’ stove
Even with the latch secure, his thoughts about survival
This night were dubious

Coral one of many daughters to the ocean king
had a talent her father often respected...
So out of the wreckage and the ruins
The innocent young man was pulled -
Perhaps in exile he would recover?

Away from the exploding fuses of weaponry
The young man was dazed to find himself alone on an isle
Not far from a pristine pool, mirror smooth
Reflecting his face and the long scar now across his left cheek
He did not see the mermaid dart to and fro to catch the same vision

When will men cease there fighting all the merfolk asked
Each other in conversation round the calming kelp beds
As they watched the mighty ruler and one of his daughters
Swim hand and hand away from blood soaked sunken ships -
Share a knowing smile... not all had perished in that storm!

JP/davh

4 comments:

  1. When will the fighting stop, Jules. I like the use of Poseidon here. Poignant piece.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it,

    you can do better than me, smiles.

    keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can you not love a poem about Merfolk? I love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought about a water wordle... but mine went in a different direction. You have a story wound into this. I love the name Coral.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.

I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.

Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.