Wednesday, March 6, 2013

WWP 145: Guiding Zephyr

http://wewritepoems.wordpress.com/2013/03/06/prompt-145-its-post-your-poems-day/


Guiding Zephyr...
Wind came out of Mother’s mouth today
not soft and gentle like ocean breezes,
but horridly steamy and foul like the whiff of dead skunk.

Wind came out of Father’s mouth hail bent on destruction
wanting to retaliate, I imagined him holding his fists balled -
yet wanting tornado like action to sweep her away

Wind came out of my mouth as a sigh
as I remained hidden behind the door of my room
wanting Dorothy’s fate - to be lifted, and landing in Oz

Wind whispered a plan in my ear... it was time, now
to leave their 'whether' to themselves - brute forces
creating damage - they could clean up after themselves

Wind guided me out the window, the basement one -
level with the ground - I took the screen away,
removed the glass paneled louvers and crawled out.

Wind jiggled the change in my coat pocket and
guided me to the bus station, barely ruffling the
fake fur that surrounded the hood of my jacket

Wind sang me lullabies as I rode away in the darkness
suspecting I would return, but knowing that when I did, little
would change - but at least for the moment, I slept in quiet.

© JP/davh


Perhaps it is the rue of the dysfunctional family that it provides fodder for poetic angst.
This piece is semi-autobiographical. One can go home again...but it is never quite the same.
So we take a step forward, move on and create new homes...

3 comments:

  1. The first half of your poem describes the dysfunction, while the second half describes your escape. Clever but sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love your last line... Wind sang me to sleep. Makes me think of my mother's wind chimes. I loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the titanic images of what the wind does... although the subject is a sad one, I still think you give a promise of hope

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.

I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.

Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.