Sunday, May 18, 2014

CD : 471 uneasy

Devils Lake and the Legend of the Sea Monster


people uneasy
with natural truth make up
fictions for the facts

throughout history tall tales
comfort or frighten children

fictions for the facts
fire and salt can destroy
yet faith brings all, hope

©JP/davh

6 comments:

  1. It seems like we are still making up fictions for facts, aren't we? At least the Native American myths are vivid - even lovely at times.

    LIke this very much -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed.. to face the facts can be hard for some...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joseph Campbell has interesting things to say about our need for stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked up Joseph Campbell - looks very interesting - thank you.

      Delete
  4. You have to face it .... sometimes there are difficulties to come over, but than to read such myths and responses on it ... that is fantastic ... I love telling stories to my kids and grandkids ... but not to scare them, but to make them stronger and in balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trick is to understand the difference between myth and reality. I still enjoy my grandmother's stories that the snow was the soap flakes of the angels. Or thunder the strikes of angels bowling. Is the Tooth Fairy a modern myth? At one point when my one son was young he refused to wait for his teeth to fall out (he didn't pull or damage them though). But he did write very tiny notes and leave small gifts under his pillow for the Tooth Fairy because She worked so hard. :)

      I encourage my grandson to tell me stories about his toys. I write them down and he now draws pictures too. I staple the pages together for him. While he isn't quite reading on his own - he does have a wonderful imagination... gee I wonder where he gets that from??? :)

      Yes balance in all is the key. :) Thank you.

      Delete

Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.

I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.

Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.