Friday, February 7, 2014

Just the Facts: Pioneer?


Pioneer?

Renee was sitting in the back of the office. She had not met her quota.
That is what the memo in her hand said. In order to see how well she
could do they were sending her out west to a very small town. While
there was a mix of elementals there all she had to do was convert one.
Just one. How hard could that be?

After a plane, train, and a bus, Renee thought it a tad awkward to have
to take a stagecoach to her location. Crimson Holler was her destination.
And it seemed the only rooms available were above the tavern. Shelma’s
boarding house, was in fact, boarded up.  The coachman took her trunk
to the half hanging doors of the saloon and barely said, “Good Day Ma’am”
before filling up his coach and head back west into the sunset.

Morris the barkeep wore a silver star on his white shirt above his apron.
“This way, Ma’am” he said soberly. After settling in her room, Renee
proclaimed to herself, ‘Well that was one live body...’ Looking up while
holding her tatter prayer book to her chest she closed her eyes...’Seems
I may be here longer than I thought.’

At first Renee was scared that there wasn’t any cell phone reception. That
the few cattle she saw looked like they were barely breathing. She had
counted more tumbleweeds than horses. The only washroom was a shared
one down the hall... Then a feeling of relief overwhelmed her. Maybe she
was free of ‘Them’ ...at last.

TOPIC: Desperation; MAIN CHARACTER: an Evangelist;
KEY OBJECT:a memo; SETTING:a Ghost town

©JP/davh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.

I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.

Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.