Wednesday, February 20, 2013

WWP 143 & WG'Broken': Tomboy Trial

WWP The First Kiss
http://wewritepoems.wordpress.com/2013/02/20/prompt-143-its-post-your-poems-day/

Tomboy Trial
I wasn’t ready
that’s what I remember
kind of a role reversal
he even carved our initials
in a heart in a tree - poor tree.

I wasn’t ready
for what he said
declaring I was to be the first
in this forest under that tree
the carved heart - poor heart.

I wasn’t ready
didn’t quite trust that I was the first
I knew I wouldn’t be the last
perhaps he collected carved hearts?
Or just girls hearts...poor girls.

I wasn’t ready
So I said no - later, years later I found out
That mystery boy/man married and divorced
While I moved on, ready for solidarity -
thought I’d easily forget - poor him.

I wasn’t ready
for the haunting...the not ever knowing
what could have been...in forested house
at the end of a dirt road - by the cold lake
I just know I don’t ever have to say; poor me.


This also fits Margo’s Tuesday Tryouts:
http://margoroby.wordpress.com/2013/02/19/tuesday-tryouts-broken/

(c) JP/davh

7 comments:

  1. This story pulled me in, it has this haunting quality. I'm glad the girl said 'no.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the repeated word switching up of its partnering in each stanza...

    I love this one:


    "I wasn’t ready
    didn’t quite trust that I was the first
    I knew I wouldn’t be the last
    perhaps he collected carved hearts?
    Or just girls hearts...poor girls."

    I remember thinking this at some point, vaguely...

    This is excellent, Jules and I love your title choice...it states so much without even having to explain.

    Thank you for sharing your poem and such a great prompt...I had fun with it...had to go with one I could remember though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful Jules. A bit haunting and almost a little nostalgic. Thank you for sharing this one... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neil R. couldn't get here so here is his comment:
    (blogspot seems to be having issues with WP...again)


    Oh yes, that progressive transforming repeated phrase – it does work very well here. Nice play with this element of personal she-tory (yours, not his history). Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like this....thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wasn't Ready. Fantastic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely... and a bit haunting itself, with the repetition of words and phrases throughout. & we are never quite "ready
    for the haunting", are we? - love the positive ending (wonderings, perhaps, but no real regrets?)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.

I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.

Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.