Thursday, August 8, 2013

For We Write Poems 169: Preamble

...what are the little dangers and the large ones? No one has ever written this.
- John Steinbeck

Preamble

I am a poet, I am a writer, I am a storyteller.
Them, there are a bunch of dangerous words.
Because now I have committed myself -
perhaps should be committed...
Along with all those other famous
and infamous personages that claim to
perhaps understand the placement of words.

Now just what am I going to do with them...
those darkly ominous threatening cloudy obscure
words that eek and ooze out of every pore of
my being even when I don’t have a pen, or
a keyboard to enslave and demand purchase
for the dramatic, comedic, rebellious or soothing
sentences strung together to make sense?

How long can I feign incompetence, or
ignorance of rules, or proclamations that
I don’t want my words to be misconstrued,
edited or even bound - sent out into the real
world like unprepared children awaiting
critique and review...and yet that’s what I have
been doing; babbling; bobbing in spaces

Now just what am I going to do with me...
hide behind the apron strings of familial duty -
make the excuse once again that I don’t have
the time to pursue self publishing because I don’t
have someone else to do the leg work, listen to
myself; dramatic, comedic, rebellious and soothing
soul-speak, heart palpitating as I say; some day!

©JP/davh

1 comment:

  1. William would be proud of you.
    [ or Edward de Vere, depending on your point of view ]
    'eek and ooze', love the personal neologisms you employed.
    Stay away from publishing what is so precious to oneself. As I agree with your foreswearing of facebook, twitter, pinterest and the rest.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.

I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.

Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.