Trade Winds
Mother woke feeling quite well, emerging from the bedclothes clear minded
“Father” she poked at her husband slightly vibrating with sleep-snoring
He rolled over and gave her a wink - he too notice the contrast in mood
As if life were no longer that grind that bore an irritating hook in his side
From their sons’ room they heard a mild whimper...that was not his normal sound
They would tend to leave the increasingly moody boy alone, but they took a chance...
They together aligned themselves to venture into that little space
To find another boy, the smudge of tear stains left a design print upon his face
His cobalt eyes almost too big for his head - Mother looked at Father
And he returned the knowing look...They smiled bending low to welcome him
The stars that dotted the night offered them another child - one who would
Perhaps appreciate the simple life they could offer...
Mother spoke, “Father please heat some water for tea I think our Johnny-boy
Might be thirsty - I’ll give his face and hands a wash and we’ll start biscuits together, aye?”
With barely a perceptible nod the boy shook his head, yes
hot food in his belly that he didn’t have to steal - ‘Fortune’ must be smiling this day
What had the older boy said...”Be honest and do your best”
How could he have left the kindness that eased from these elders?
Johnny-boy. That was a name he could live with...much better than his street name
He had yet to utter a word, took Mother’s hand, rose and let her wash his face...
JulesPaige/davh May 5th, 2012 for the Sunday Whirl:
*
cobalt, align, hook, vibrate, print, grind, contrast, emerging, chance, clear, dot, wink
Continuing the story (the third piece) of: http://julesgemsandstuff.blogspot.com/2012/04/lackluster-lackey-sunday-whirl-wordle.html
Thanks to Monday Melting for the 4th installment of this story:
http://julesgemsandstuff.blogspot.com/2012/05/sea-escape-4-for-monday-melting-16.html
Sunday, May 6, 2012
18 comments:
Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.
I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.
Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I had no idea when I started reading that this journey would conclude with a homecoming! Thank you!
ReplyDeleteWhirling Haiku and Senryu
I didn't even notice all of the wordle words as they were blended in with the story so well.
ReplyDeleteNice piece of writing Jules.
Such a beautifully touching story, Jules. Wonderful use of the wordle words.
ReplyDeleteInteresting tale, Jules. It reads like an ancient story winding its way to my screen. I love that storyteller feel to it. It's a gift when a writer brings that to life. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteThe trade leaves me feeling uncomfortable....it disrupts my cultural sensibility. But I do like it when stories hit me in those low places...it opens up exploration.
Well, this is different. I do love following your paths, Jules. I didn't even notice the wordle words.
ReplyDeleteTo my Dear Wordlers and Other Visiters:
ReplyDeleteI haven't figured out how to change my blogger account so I can reply to comments...
From the first piece where the older boy dismisses his 'parents' with apparent ease, to finding Smudge in the second piece, I wanted in this third addition to attempt some reconciliation or justification to the 'less' fortunate characters. I can only hope I did that. :)
A heartwarming read, Jules. It is part of a larger piece of writing?
ReplyDeletePamela
Jules, second foray into your world and not disappointed. No matter where you take us on this journey, it is an experience for sure.
ReplyDeleteNice storytelling in a poem Jules. Family stories..hmmm
ReplyDeleteYou wander with words in the most amazing ways. This could be the start of a great story... but then so could much of what you write!
ReplyDeleteJules, I like this continuing story, now from the perspective of mother and father - I like their relationship with each other. Clever use of "smudge" - and still that question about the older boy, leaving that kindness.
ReplyDeleteRichard
beautiful. heartwarming. uplifting. bittersweet. I love your writing. and I love your ideas for quiche too. happy day to you Jules.
ReplyDeleteMy comment must have ended up in "spam" because I know I commented after I read this terrific entry, Jules! I can't remember everything I said, but I do know that I especially like the way you were able to incorporate all the words so seamlessly - and your use of "cobalt" was great - it didn't stick out like a sore thumb. i found that word especially difficult to make sound as though it belonged and was not just a required word. Anyway - terrific job, and thanks for your visit to mine!
ReplyDeleteYou are a gifted writer, Jules. ..."Be honest and do your best” are great words to live by.
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed this...Such a fresh take on the words...I forgot it was a wordle!
ReplyDeleteAs so many others have said, this is written so well and the wordle words included so seamlessly, one forgets it's a wordle;a lovely continuing tale Jules, that I for one am looking forward to hearing more of ...
ReplyDeletehttp://thepoet-tree-house.blogspot.ca/2012/05/things-of-which-we-believe-ourselves.html
Wow!! I'm so glad to have visited you, Jules! This is truly a heart rendering story! Great job with this!
ReplyDeleteYou made the words from Sunday Whirl stream into your storyline so effortlessly -- I forgot I followed the breadcrumb from there to here to see your offering.
ReplyDeleteSunday Word Wordle is on my list of memes to participate -- would be a good exercise for me as well as quite a stretch -- as I am not usually a long piece writer ... but am up for the challenge. :)
Thank you for sharing, and adding to my inspiration!! Blessings ~~ becca