Friday, May 18, 2012

Heading South (Monday Melting #17)

Heading South...(in a Good Way)
Crossing over the Susquehanna seemed
Like a dalliance into the world of dreams...
We had a brief assemblage, an erstwhile
Meeting in the penumbra of dawn
To load up the van that would take half of us
To our destination where once again we would
Become a panoply of a family at the resort by
The offing where we would relax in the demesne
Of salted air and enjoy the lilt, lithe, and labyrinthine
Movements of the sea gulls, ghost crabs and other tourists...

This was not a day to be woebegone or inure
It was the start of our annual road trip together
With the windows open we could smell the
Reddent petrichor rising from the riparians we passed
On our way to the river...the air seemed like a magic elixir
An enchanting harbinger of the week ahead -
Our murmurous whispers were in agreement
We had the wherewithal to ravel in and imbue our relationships
Hands in wafture - the two vehicles became our personal caravan
There was no need for an inglenook on this week of summer vacation

My pillow set, I allowed mondegreen, while in tintinabulation
About whether I had remembered to pack my talisman
Focusing on the pastiche of early morning clouds
I let my eyes close and allowed myself to brood...
Repeating the scintilla of my synapses over and over
So I could remember just what I wanted to write about
When I awoke in another state, quite literally...
Starting from southwestern Pennsylvania we would have
Several hundreds of miles to put between our starting point
And the registration desk that held the keys to our home away from home...

JulesPaige © May 18, 2012. Please note the 30 words I used out of the 100 are in italics.  How could I not use Susquehanna? I learned a few of other things too; The rivers’ name is an exonym = a name used by foreigners for a place or people that the natives do not use themselves. The original spelling from a map by John Smith in 1612 has the river spelled Susquesahaough - which in the Iroquoian language does not mean; mile wide and foot deep.
For: http://rosemarymint.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/monday-melting-week-17/

8 comments:

  1. I can see you sitting with the words in front of you writing them in :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that never works for me though, to sleep and then write what i was thinking on..i always have to jot it down no matter how much i tell myself i will remember...smiles....you really made these words dance jules....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally ticks me off when I do that. I lose the best lines at night.

      Delete
    2. Love this: "a dalliance into the world of dreams"

      You have an extra "of" in this: "in the demesne of Of salted air"

      I like this: "sea gulls, ghost crabs and other tourists"

      The middle word is misspelled here: "Our murmouros whispers"

      Isn't it fun to learn new words? I would love to go on a road trip alone. :) The music alone would be incentive enough. I am a singing/dancing in my seat kind of driver.

      Delete
    3. Shawna, Thanks for pointing out the flaws...I think I've corrected them. I think I would like a companion for a road trip...but our holiday ones...to save gas we pile in the van. Too hot, to cold, to squishy. I'd like to do a road trip with just one other...With maybe a destination or two in mind - and the wherewithal to make nice stops along the way :)

      Delete
  3. Great work dear friend Jules.
    Thank you for visiting Poetic Oceans. I am slowly coming back to my writing after hysterectomy in a military hospital on the 2nd of May. My country is troubling so many ...may Allah have mercy on us and forgive us for our trespasses amen.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.

I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.

Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.