Memorabilia
I fingered the fire opal ring that he had given to me on my last birthday
And glanced out the study window at the sinewy branches of the willow
And mulberry trees that kept time with late spring headless tulips swaying in the wind
Seemingly bent over the stray feline whose alto mews only served to alert
The mourning doves and too the overgrown thistle was just about ready to go to seed...
I crumbled to dust some of the dried umber eucalyptus leaves,
Seeking some fragrant relief - especially after finding that sour milk in fridge
The sienna honey looked good but two thirds of it had crystallized anyway -
I wanted to vanish like a nymph, eat a juicy peach, maybe down a shot of rye
I wanted to escape to some exotic spa...my arm, my elbow ached,
My hand, fingers felt numb from shaking the hands of all his famed
Colleagues whose praise seemed like a broken record - thankful that part
Of this fine mess was over now, and I was back at his place from the services
At the funeral home and the cemetery...I remained, his only living heir
Just what was I going to do with all this stuff from his travels now?
The ivy jade rabbit lay next to the course lava that looked like tumbleweed so clearly
Marked from where he had gotten it, as was every bit of his fine worldly possessions -
What was the thought he had when he had taken it from the base of Peles’ volcano
He was the one who told me of the lore that it was bad luck to take that home as a souvenir.
Buy a ticket to Hawaii and return that lump to the goddess, I suppose I could do that -
White coconut shavings looked like veins in the onyx owl that whispered; “Who cares?”
JulesPaige/davh © (May 10, 2012)
Process notes: I was thinking of doing short verse or haiku...but as usual I let the words write themselves. And with just a tad bit of tweaking I’m satisfied. I especially like the last line...
Which I needed to adjust...thanks Anne Katherine...I was tired - it was the owl who spoke.
http://rosemarymint.wordpress.com/2012/05/09/thursday-melting-bonus-word-prompt/
ivy jade coconut onyx lava feline mulberry willow sinew elbow spa(w) nimp/nymph alto opal umber sienna thistle tumbleweed eucalyptus tulip numb peach rye lore milk
Thursday, May 10, 2012
7 comments:
Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.
I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.
Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like the last line as well - the "coconut shavings whispered." Nice!
ReplyDeleteNice flow of words became of this list, jules!! I, also, like your closing line! Smiles!
ReplyDeleteLove the opening words: "I fingered the fire opal ring"
ReplyDelete"Buy a ticket to Hawaii and return that lump to the goddess" ... Ha!
"white onyx owl" ... Ooh, pretty. :)
"Who cares?" and a shot of rye is a great way to end things.
Very different. I do enjoy seeing where the words take you.
ReplyDeletegosh you have some pretty incredible imagery in this...i am particularly fond of nature as well so your opening stanza is a treat....nice bit of story telling as well...
ReplyDeleteI love how this unfolds, and we discover what is going on for the speaker. Lovely details, like finding the sour milk - poignant. Oh, how things can "speak" to us.
ReplyDeleteRichard
Love those "headless tulips" in particular, here. Haunting. Love all of the word bumps within, here.
ReplyDelete