Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Matter of Interpretation - SW Wordle #56

A Matter of Interpretation
I
Being without a community of others like herself allowed the Woman freedom -
Tales of the demons that haunted her father and his people were told with rituals
On full moon nights with masked faces to appease an invisible goddess
No longer held to or by them, she became extremely fearless and independent

Woman learned from nature, all life was sacred - she ate fish and the small game
That she knew how to catch and prepare and she saved anything that she felt might
have significance from the summit to the base of her protective silver waterfall
And in her older age, when life left her, she was at peace within her sanctuary

II
Julianna had turned on the TV with the intention to just pass the time
Waiting for her parents to return from a visit to the local winery -
The narrator said that the woman found in the cave must have been indigenous
To the area and most likely had been a well respected shaman

The screen flipped scenes to the inside of the mouth of a cave
String was used to square off the archaeological sections that they were mapping
And flags dotted the locations of finds and other possible sites to dig
If there hadn’t been an earthquake in recent years and the falls diverted...

They would have never discovered Woman and her time capsule treasure
They had concluded that she had to have belonged to the same group of peoples
That had been found to the east - but she had been better fed and must have
Been honored to have such a fantastic assortment of items in her burial chamber...

JulesPaige/davh © May 12, 2012
Process notes: This list lent itself to become an addition to this piece;
http://julesgemsandstuff.blogspot.com/2012/05/silver-flow-alliance.html
Thanks to both Margo and Misky for their continued support and inspiration
This piece was written for #56 for the Sunday Whirl - Thanks, Brenda!
http://sundaywhirl.wordpress.com/2012/05/13/wordle-56/
indigenous, significance, goddess, sacred, demons, visit,
rituals, summit, elaborated, intention, flags, string

15 comments:

  1. I'm glad she was a woman of note. I've often thought it would be so interesting to be a Shaman and even to live simply too. No modern days stress to have to cope with at all. Enjoyed this very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting use of the wordle words. Indeed the life of early women was different than ours today and fascinating when something is found that gives us a glimpse of how life was then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the second stanza, Jules. Also the second part goes in a fantastic direction. When I picture it, I see it in film. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever. I like the story very much. Love the structure that takes us from then to now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nifty, Jules.
    I like the two views

    (sect II line 3. should that be "must have BEEN indigenous"?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting, creative take on the wordle words. I always love to see where they take us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your second stanza, Jules, it feels so raw and survivalist. Great poem!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful idea, to steer the wordle words in this fascinating direction: the poem seems like the preamble to a novel, and left me wanting more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jules, I am with the others, this is a very creative take with the words.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderfully imaginative, Jules. Interesting structure too. I love that you set the context in present day in Part 2 where Juliana watched TV and then this story of an ancient woman came to life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never thought to write it as you've done. Very effective and lends extra interest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the layers in this one, Jules. It has a character unlike many of your others. That's not to say the other are inferior - just different - at least in "my interpretation!" LOL

    Sometimes the best discoveries are the unexpected ones. The serendipitous finds that occur when we are looking elsewhere. Yours is a wonderful take on Wordle #56, and stands well on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jules, this is incredible! Unique use of the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like how this is unfolding Jules and that you're permitting us to follow the process as it does, very cool ... glad also that this woman is one of some note (as others have said) - it suits her and the tale being told ...

    http://leapinelephants.blogspot.ca/2012/05/first-sunday-in-may-and-no-more-roses.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like how you used some of the wordle words for the archaeological dig - string and flags - great visuals there. And, of course, the commentary, the interpretation that was completely wrong.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.

I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.

Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.