Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Sometimes Reality 'Shucks' -Monday Melting 18 & WWP 107

Sometimes Reality ‘Shucks’

Salt into the wound, the predator no longer mimicked the angel she wasn’t
The event would never be transcribed - not if one wanted to actually live
The three of us stood - jaws knobbed in defiance, mouths cotton dry

The red fire of a volcanic eruption lingered with the heat of the baking oven
Emotions incensed by human pheromones as the air bristled electrically
Each woman holding their place not daring to flutter an eyelash

Would the jaguar morph as the conversation unfolded
And the vulnerable parties remain coherent enough not to wet themselves?
The white light at the end of the tunnel was as narrow as a pencil point...

Thankfully at last there was motion, though tortoise-like
It was enough to ensure that no one would have to be surgically removed
from the walls or that excrement would have to be cleaned

As is the case most often when the ‘shit hits the fan’
Choices were going to be made - who would remain endemic?
There would be no crocheting of loyalties, no more false honeydew words
~~~
Silence ensued as the fourth woman entered the room - would she ever know
Of what had just occurred - At that moment one of the others had made
A life changing decision - Get out, save yourself - sometimes that’s all you can do.

JP/davh © May 22, 2012  *shucks (informal):as in ‘something useless or worthless, ‘They don’t care shucks about the project'.  Process notes: Just couldn’t find a home for those five other words. But I did use two color words. Traded salt for sodium. And I’ve made the choice to leave my ‘job’. Sanity is more precious than a few extra bucks. 



flutter.morph.mimic.funnel.tortoise.honeydew
crochet.surgical.transcription.imago.unfolded.vulnerable
predator.dry.excrete.*orange/blue/brown (or alternative color words)
proboscis.coherent.photonic.eyespot.endemic.sodium.knobbed
pheromones.pencil.tunnel.bristle.wet.incense.jaguar   (25 0f 30)
http://rosemarymint.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/monday-melting-week-18/


Also posted here:http://poetryjaam.blogspot.com/2012/05/bully.html
As I just found this prompt in which this poem fits through the May 25 th, offering of:
http://margoroby.wordpress.com/
Also Posting here:
http://wewritepoems.wordpress.com/2012/05/30/prompt-107-its-post-your-poems-day/#comments
How much more real can it get than having to deal with an adult bully?  A follow up piece to this from me can be found here:
http://julesgemsandstuff.blogspot.com/2012/05/lasting-last-laughs-sunday-whirl-58.html

11 comments:

  1. Jules-You are an amazing word rustler!--- I am thinking of you... GET OUT OF THERE FAST!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the plan. While I would like to be professional about it, if I get further grief I will just walk right on out an never look back. Well, I will return to visit the people I still care about. Those that are remaining deserve so much better.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on making such a bold decision regarding your job; you're very brave.

    These are my favorite lines:
    "the predator no longer mimicked the angel she wasn’t"
    "Would the jaguar morph as the conversation unfolded"

    You've left me really wanting to hear the full story. It makes me think of sexual harassment in the workplace and the young girls who don't know any better than to allow it to happen, particularly if it affects their position and status. (I know the superior in this story is a woman, but that's just where my mind went when I read "predator" and "volcanic eruption." I've had some trouble with this before.)

    "not daring to flutter and eyelash" ... Here, I think you mean "an" instead of "and."

    This definitely sounds like a scary woman to work for. Although, you didn't really mention in the poem that this was an office. Maybe this is just a powerful woman intimidating other wome; or with the pheromones involved, maybe it's a woman taking advantage of other women or doing something crazy like beating them with a whip. (I have a vivid imagination and have watched way too many horror movies.) I don't know. It's pretty open to interpretation, which I like. :) Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for seeing the light and getting the hell out. Powerful wordling. I'd not come across that meaning for "shucks" - appropriate when you think of discarded pea pods. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Viv, I had wanted to use another word other than 'shucks' but I try to be a polite poet. With encouragement from others - I choose to forgo being polite in the work place and today - quit. I hope will not have to deal with that 'jaguar' again. Thanks for your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, this definitely does fit the Poetry Jam prompt. Thanks for jamming. Indeed bullies are not only children. Some of the worst bullies are adults. I had a woman principal once about whom I could say the same. She, with her power, had me quaking in my boots; and there was no way I could quit. Just tried to stay under the radar as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. get out and save yourself...its all you can do...and sometimes that is exactly right and i am glad for those that have the strength to make that decision and mourn for those that cant...ugh, vivid and real....there are many adult bullies out there...used adults in mine as well...specifically parents...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Vivid and all to real' - Very glad to be able to move forward, though I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when 'Jaguar' was confronted by the head honcho. Probably 'sweet-talked' her way out yet again. I thought there was a no tolerance harassment policy, apparently that gal has had more than her fair chances to 'shape-up'. Should have been canned years ago. But I'm not in charge.

      Delete
  7. Workplace bullies can be awfully hard to deal with, the whole self-preservation vs. economic survival dilemma. Takes a bit of guts to make that break, best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jules, having read your follow-up poem, the one from the wordle words, this was enlightening - and scary. Yes, even adults can be bullies. I've had to deal with parents of children I teach who are bullies. A very powerful write. And kudos to you to choosing sanity over money - always a good choice.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped in to get my last paycheck. I just wonder how employers with supposed no bully/harassment policies continue to employ such people. This particular 'bully' has had in my humble opinion too many write ups to have let this slid and still have a job. But I'm not in charge. Some parents who have forgone discipline are bullied by their children. I once was working at a store where a possibly six year old said to his mother, "You'd better give me what I want or I'll tell Father." And I could do nothing. I could only imagine her life was filled with grief. And hope some day she could escape.

      Delete

Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.

I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.

Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.