Emergence
The kitchen sink
Literally in it
Being lovingly bathed
In a grandmother’s home
Where everything was small
But was perceived a huge
Through my eyes
Concentrating on the hands
Holding me and the water
That for the life of me
I cannot recall
The face - was it you, Mother?
If so then that memory
Shall be gilded and treasured
Because it is the only one
I have of you before you left...
And didn’t return
How does one explain death
To a child who has yet
To form their own words
So close to the beginning...an end
JulesPaige/davh © May 14, 2012
Process notes: Life happens, please don't be sad for me - that was over 50 years ago. The prompt has allowed me to 'gild this memory'. http://wewritepoems.wordpress.com/2012/05/10/prompt-105-old-beginnings/
Wednesday, May 16, 2012
9 comments:
Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.
I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.
Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The last two stanzas are poignant, though. I have noticed an interesting motif throughout people's poems when talking of their mothers, and that's as 'faceless'.
ReplyDeletei wont be sad for you...it is heavy though...losing a parent so early in life...that faint glimpse of memory as well...nicely captured....
ReplyDeleteJust beautiful, Jules. Stop by my website for your award.
ReplyDeleteJules, yes, this is sad, but it is poignant as Margo has said.
ReplyDeletePamela
Yes, poignant...funny how we remember the tactile more than words.
ReplyDeletewhat a lovely memory that's been so beautifully put into words. You've managed to put me right there, in that kitchen, watching her hands too, dripping with water as she bathes her child. Very moving Jules. happy day to you.
ReplyDeletePowerful, Jules!
ReplyDeleteJules, visit my blog if you get a chance to pick up your award! (no pressure)
ReplyDeleteThank you,
"Happy"
http://www.thehappyamateur.com/2012/05/liebster-blog-nominations.html
You're right about the poem - and your relationship with it here. All we can do is be grateful for what we do have, and poems are one means to that end. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete