Wedded Bliss?
Thin lips, taut skin
She stands, he sits
Next to each other
Barely touching
In a sepia snapshot
Poised in their gestures
As if this were utterly natural
This act, staged and set
The beginning of their lives...
To be sent to the framer
After being boxed -
For the next generation to ogle
The grand-daughter will choose
A point of honor for the grandparents
Behind protective glass
With their untold stories
Soon to be hanging
On a prominent wall
JP/davh
Process notes: If I knew how to add photos...it would help if I could find it. We did some renovations a while back and everything had to come off the walls. Safely packed away are several wedding photographs of grandparents, just waiting for another wall...
My Grandmother was his second wife, their third daughter was my mother. A rough estimate on the photo is late 1800’s early 1900’s.
http://sundaywhirl.wordpress.com/2012/07/01/wordle-63/
skin, lips, thin, snapshots, touch, other, act, hanging, gesture, stand, sent, utter
Sunday, July 1, 2012
20 comments:
Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.
I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.
Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oooh Jules -we were very much on same wavelength - I truly feel you captured the feeling that coalesced from those words. Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteOooh Jules -we were very much on same wavelength - I truly feel you captured the feeling that coalesced from those words. Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteIf pictures could only talk, what stories they could tell! Instead, we are left to invent the ending. Wonderful poem!
ReplyDelete"untold stories"
ReplyDeleteAh, so the photo doesn't tell everything, does it? Or, more to the point, perhaps it tells nothing at all.
An Irish Whirl
Was it wedded bliss, or not? Pictures only capture that moment in time but, they can tell a whole story in that moment too, can't they?
ReplyDeleteLovely use of the prompt Jules
Ah yes, people in those old photos never look very natural, do they? I suppose this is because they had to stand in the same position for a long time to have the photo taken. Be sure to label your photos or the next generation will just wonder who they are.
ReplyDeleteWell done wordle!
ReplyDeleteUntold stories leaves an opening for future storytellers to fill in with their imagination. ;) I can see the wedding picture, you describe it well. "staged and set..." that's quite an image to contrast beginnings. Well done, Jules.
ReplyDeleteThis reminded me of the only photo I have of my great grandparents on my mother's side. They stand next to one another, not touching, each looking away in a different direction. Untold stories, even more unanswered questions. I like how your poem found the connections of blood and feelings.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth
You don't need a picture - you painted one with words so very well.....
ReplyDeleteI like the perspectives of this - the immediate one of the first stanza - the beginning - looking forward. And then the looking back on the past of the second - and what is untold. A delightful read.
ReplyDeleteRichard
I agree with Joanne, Jules. Your words painted the picture vividly for me. Nice.
ReplyDeletePamela
You painted the scene so well! Nicely wordled!
ReplyDeleteLoooooove "untold stories"...and your process notes. So great.
ReplyDeleteVery well done, Jules. I have an old sepia of my mother's parents, which I keep wanting to take in and have refurbished and framed.
ReplyDeleteWonderful, that snapshot of innocence forever memorialized in a frame protected with glass.
ReplyDeleteThis is so good. The ending is sad, though. So many stories going untold. I was thinking about this on Saturday while we visited grandparents.
ReplyDelete"With their untold stories
Soon to be hanging
On a prominent wall"
You did such a great job telling this story, painting this picture. A tiny snapshot of the beginning.
Lovely story, effective wordling. Couldn't be better.
ReplyDeleteAhh... I can see the picture through your vivid words.
ReplyDeleteNicely done, and just a little bit enigmatic.
ReplyDeleteThose photos from 100 years ago are typically so formal looking.
Cheers!
JzB