Wednesday, August 15, 2012

WWP 118: Thinking Outside of the Box

Thinking Outside of the Box
They were men with big dreams
They were the builders of things mechanical
Bolting joints, legs, sockets and circuit boards

In sealed lab rooms, perhaps climate controlled
Maybe even windowless - they followed the vision set before them
At the Grumman Iron Works in the 1960’s

They built Apollo LEM’s - one, some or all of them;
Lunar Excursion Modules - started out unmanned
And then in July 20, 1969 a man landed on the moon

Fathers, uncles, brothers, sons and grandfathers
I think the field was unintentionally mostly if not all men then
Tosterone and smoke jockeying for the light of day, during launches

And perhaps lunches too - celebrating creativity and ingenuity
Could they ever imagine that with the start of the space program
That Curiosity would land on Mars in August of 2012?

Process notes: One of my grandfathers’ helped to build several of the LEMs.
Somewhere in my home I have a line drawing or photo of one of the Apollo LEM’s
With signatures of everyone who helped to build it - including my grandfather.
This piece is to honor all those who helped the early United States space program,
about fifty years ago and since, yet only flew to space in their dreams.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Lunar_Module

We Write Poems 118

3 comments:

  1. A nice tribute, Jules. As a kid I was obsessed with the Apollo Missions and had several models of the rockets and LEMs. A great piece of personal history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your "memory" poem makes a lot more sense than the current mission! Your family history makes it special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. heh-heh re 'lunches ... launches', nice word-play. I like this one ~ would be bound to as a 'child of' the 60's :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.

I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.

Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.