Wednesday, August 22, 2012

WWP 119: Pretty Gritty?

Pretty Gritty?
mud
to young girls
nothing better to do
than keep each other company
while the grown-ups held their high tea

mud
in the back
of the yard somewhere
a place we rarely visited
the home our grandfather built to retire

mud
between our toes
we removed our shoes
and made countless dirt pies
covering our sibling selves in the afternoon

mud
they laughed heartily
once they found us
got out the garden hose
when it was time to go home

mud
of a place
now only a memory -
no longer our wonderland
lingering on the fading map of dreams

JP/davh

WWP 119...of what/place
http://wewritepoems.wordpress.com/2012/08/22/prompt-119-its-post-your-poems-day/

7 comments:

  1. wow Jules, I LOVE this. especially -

    mud
    of a place
    now only a memory -
    no longer our wonderland
    lingering on the fading map of dreams

    This is truly delicious writing. Happy week to you Jules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really identified with this Jules - I LOVED making mud pies as a kid. Made me terribly dirty though which meant I had to have a bath - another treat! Enjoyed the fun throughout this poem and the tolerant amusement of the adults. The last stanza is a lovely counterpoint - full of a gentle sadness and nostalgia...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, Jules! The one-word, one-syllable repetition of mud is very effective -- fun to read and evocative of the substance itself. This is a fun, fun poem of childhood. Thanks for the smile! If only we could experience mud as wonderland as adults. Maybe we can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes!! Jules my mind went to mud first too!! So fun...a lovely reminisce and I too, love your closing stanza! Well written!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not at all gritty, Jules. There is almost a dreamlike quality throughout, a very real sense of looking back a long way, seeing flashing moments of recognition. Wonderful write!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. this took me back to the joy of making mud pies! the beginning of my love of baking, i guess?

    this was delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great write Jules... so glad I dropped down to see what else you have been up to. It makes me wonder about myself though- I did not like to get dirty, I even had trouble with finger paints. Now I am wondering why?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.

I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.

Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.