March 18, 2012
Half Baked
I have discovered from previous visits
to retirement communities that there is a limit
to how many times I can get lost in the maze of hallways they contain
staff and residents are willing to lend a hand
some with unrecognizable gestures...(due to age, and mental capacity)
There is always some unfolding drama on those linoleum roads
those wheel chairs one drives themselves to and fro
some gents and gals intent on what they carry to make
a delivery to the community room of some old crooner singing to bring cheer -
those easy to follow tunes that everyone can enjoy singing
I have this inherent fear that one day I will need my children
to find a place like this for me, until then I’ll use up
all the sources I can find to stay within my own home
and be very glad that I am still very able to count
my own less than shiny, not quit round, rattling marbles
JulesPaige/davh
For the http://sundaywhirl.wordpress.com/ #48 Bakers Dozen list of wordles:
Inherent, hand, delivery, follows, drives, drama, gestures, hallways, limit, carry, previous, sources and singing
Sunday, March 18, 2012
15 comments:
Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.
I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.
Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm counting my marbles too. Love your wordle.
ReplyDeleteThat last stanza had me cracking up, Jules.
ReplyDeletePamela
I hope to never end up there.
ReplyDeleteYikes, never want to think about those retirement communities. I think being only with 'the old' would be too one-dimensional.
ReplyDeleteRetirement communities are really a whole separate world, aren't they? I love the phrase "linoleum roads," and the last two lines are wonderful.
ReplyDeleteYour wordle is fully baked. Although most of us are not a retirement community yet many have parents that are at that point. I love the line-"some unfolding drama on those linoleum roads" .
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your scenic musings on the retirement home.
ReplyDeleteI had to laugh at the first stanza and was entirely sympathetic to the last, although the places we looked at for my mom are nice. Skip and I thought maybe we would start early!
ReplyDeleteWe wrote of a similar place...I enjoyed your piece.
ReplyDeletePaula
Cute, although sad. I hope not to get there, too :-)
ReplyDeletethis is excellent Jules. love this -
ReplyDelete"some unfolding drama on those linoleum roads
those wheel chairs one drives themselves to and fro".
you've beautifully captured the insides of a retirement home to be sure.
happy spring to you Jules.
LOL, I hope my marbles stay (a)countable for a few more years :-) Seriously, you have really captured the atmosphere of retirement homes. Both my parents spent some time there, and I walked those hallways.
ReplyDeleteMy daughter did some volunteer work at these facilities...Your poem brings to life stories everywhere. Thoroughly enjoyed this:)I like the 'drama unfolding on linoleum highways:)!
ReplyDeleteI completely forgot it was a wordle! Well done.
Jules, thank-you for visiting me this morning! I'm happy your transplants survived! I too, love gardening, but we dare not begin here until we are sure those final three blizzards are NOT going to show up:)
would not want to end up there myself.. and hope to have my marbles intact..
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete