Wednesday, June 27, 2012

WWP 111: Bedazzled

We Write Poems 111

Bedazzled
For so many years
I wanted to trade in my name
Common for its’ era
Even the nick-name
Tried alternate spellings to break the spell

Challenged with ferocity
The spelling and pronunciation
The addition of letters that
Weren’t there to begin with
Even when grandparents used them

Few people could get away with
Calling me by my full given name
Why I allowed any deviation
Was a mystery I have yet to solve
Then I started using my initials, even on checks

Perhaps to balance out
That unjustified prejudice between the sexes
The one that state there are roles to play
And you have to use Mr., Master, Mrs., Miss, or Ms.
So I just chose to use none of the above

And now I use a nom-de-plume
An awkward feather in my cap?
Perhaps it is my love of fantasy-
Wanting to be a known unknown
Not wishing to be ‘spelled’ …

Process notes: This one was easy - for me. Wrote it the day of or after the prompt came out. The word 'spell', hidden, and name(s) all fascinating aspects of writing and personal natures.

5 comments:

  1. Wanting to be a known unknown
    Not wishing to be ‘spelled’ …


    I just LOVE your closing lines!!! What do you go by? Now I'm curious! I enjoyed that you brought this to a personal level!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *giggle* I started Web-life on a book site as JulesPaige (they didn't allow any spaces) as stated; because words are like 'Jewels on a Page'. Over at 'Writing Our Way Home', a wonderful writing community it got shorted to Jules. Let's just say when I'm not being anonymous I use my first and middle initials along with both my maiden and married names for writing credits (just my married name on my checks) - I don't use a hyphen. I do feel that just because I married I didn't give/gift away or lose my own family name. Even with the name 'Jules' and with using my initials I have been 'genderly' mistaken. Comes with the territory I suppose. I did look for an e-mail but couldn't find one...so this will have to do. :)

      Delete
  2. oh now you have me really curious as to your actual name. "genderly" mistaken? hmmmm. I do love a good mystery though. happy evening to you Jules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. This is powerful. Very moving, Jules. You are very good.

    "Tried alternate spellings to break the spell"

    "Master"

    "And now I use a nom-de-plume
    An awkward feather in my cap?
    Perhaps it is my love of fantasy-
    Wanting to be a known unknown
    Not wishing to be ‘spelled'" ... Slam dunk on the last stanza. Superb, particularly your last two lines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting poem - I love the play on spell and spelling. I like your pen-name, I must say!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post honorable comments as soon as I am able.

I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments." Adding your link to an unrelated site will not help. Most everything that ends up in spam will not be posted, especially that which makes no sense to the post.

Any 'opinions' that are not introduced, explained and are unrelated to my post will not be honored. Having a 'legitimate' blog will not help - you will be marked as spam. You will have no voice here. Thank you.