1*Insanity is hereditary you can get it from your children
Let us talk about more cheerful things +
We survived our own and our children’s teen angst
2*I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work.
I want to achieve immortality through not dying
Don’t be too sweet, or they will eat you up;
don’t be too bitter, or they will spit you out +
“So what’s another year, we only age for other people right,” she asks?
“As long as I don’t buy you a beef dinner for our anniversary,” he says
As the ‘joke’ is over thirty years old - she nods in agreement...
3*A hospital bed is a parked taxi with the meter running
Life is the greatest bargain; we get it for nothing +
The grandson calls that building ‘The doctors house’ - we should be lucky only to visit...
4*Wit has truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with with words
Better to make a good wish for yourself than a bad wish for another +
Poetic words on paper are delicate lace - your whispered ‘I love you’ is pure gold
5*I can never remember being afraid of an audience.
If the audience could do better, they’d be up here on stage and
I’d be out there watching them.
What the eye doesn’t see, the heart doesn’t know +
I say occasionally, “They like me.” He says, “I love you always”
We see eye to eye.
JP/davh
For We Write Poems: WWP Prompt 110
1*Sam Levenson 2*Woody Allen 3*Groucho Marx 4*Dorothy Parker 5*Ethel Merman
*From ‘A Book of Jewish Wit OY VEY! The Things They Say
+Yiddish Wisdom for Marriage by Rae Meltzer
Words in Italics are mine...
Ooh I like #4 and #5 best.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great beginning to the day, Jules. Love these "gemstones" you've put together. They made me smile and contemplate and want for more.
ReplyDeleteJulie
I like very much that you decided to "play" with this prompt. Seriously! :) Prompts you know try to find and edge, say enough to make a challenge if you go by the bottom rules (suggestions, always), but ever - poems are open (or should be) to whatever stray breeze comes along. Being in play (engaged) as you were writing this, you also then found good friends to bring along as company here. Ethel Merman, indeed! How wonderful, as well the rest of your crew.
ReplyDeleteIt is to read, perhaps a little disjointed, but I seldom consider that of itself something to be shy about. We people, we are disjointed, seldom knowing where the next connection is going to come along. I like too that you put yourself into the mix!
Wonderful job and thanks for jumping in the deep end here. And didn't parents ever say, don't play with your food? Well here we say, yes please, please do play with your poems. Let me see something I didn't expect to see! You did that here. To my delight. Thanks.
neil
Conversations can be disjointed...the door bell rings, the pot on the stove starts to boil over, the power goes out...
ReplyDeleteShy...oh, once long ago... dangerously quiet and shy. All that energy now has a better focus...Well at least I'd like to think so :)
Oh, I always play with my food and my words...sometimes the chocolate cake might be a little dry, but it still is chocolate. And words... they are delights in and of themselves - at least my muse tells me so. Thanks for your continued encouragement and kindness.
I agree with Neil, Jules. This, this is a delight. I love how it reads and I want to go back in and listen to the conversations. Love #5. Could have used that this past weekend!
ReplyDelete